Historically the area between Hyde Park and Knightsbridge was split into two great estates with a wall separating them, this made it particuarly difficult for residents living on the Rutland Estate side of the wall (the Northern side) of Knightsbridge to access the southern side without a fairly significant journey, going up to Hyde Park, then around to Knightsbridge. It is estimated that the wall was constructed in the 1850s, as maps prior to this do not show the barrier. The wall was demolished by a bomb during World War II on 25 September 1940, which whilst a loss, meant that residents could eliminate the long detour when walking to Knightsbridge. After the war, the wall on Rutland Mews East and Rutland Street was replaced but local residents petitioned to keep a right of way through it, hence the ‘Hole in the Wall’ as it is now known as, making the northern and southern parts of Knightsbridge easily accessible.
The City of Westminster installed a small sign next to the wall in 1998 with the wording: “This boundary wall of the Rutland Estate was destroyed by a bomb, during World War II, on 25 September 1940. At the request of residents a right of way was established when the wall was rebuilt by the City of Westminster in 1948 and has come to be known as ‘the hole in the wall.”